Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Jack and the BEAN stalk (or stock...)

So last night, we had African Peanut Soup. It is one of our favorite recipes and Jack liked it too! This is a big deal because Jack, at 15 1/2 months, still doesn't usually seem interested in food. But, he ate lots of kinda spicy African Peanut Soup. Well, tonight I made a spicy Black Bean Soup. Jack LOVED it! I had to give him a second helping! It was so cute watching him actually eat. He even fed himself with his spoon- a first for him! Notice that we do not have a bib on Jack. In the past (before today or maybe yesterday) we haven't had to put bibs on him. He just didn't really eat anything... Maybe a bite or two of yogurt (which he no longer eats since we have given up dairy) or a couple corn kernels, a few black beans, but nothing that required a protective layer. We will have to get into a new habit. I THINK I know where the bibs are...?


I wonder if he will be like Jonah. Jonah didn't really eat food until he had his first Chicken Enchilada. We have called Jonah our "little south of the border boy." There was a lot of talk about him being related to our pool boy :) Lucky for me, Jonah looks exactly like his daddy! Jonah LOVES eating jalapenos out of the jar and eats salsa with a spoon. We went to Torero's for my sister's birthday in May. Right in front of Jonah was a bowl of their spicy salsa with a spoon in it. No surprise, Jonah ate the entire bowl of salsa on his own, intermittently reaching into his water glass for an ice cube to chew.
I am so happy that Jack is now eating- and eating healthful and flavorful food at that! Yeah Jack!!!

1 comment:

fiona said...

I love it! that's so great when kids eat the gooood stuff! Nuala's better with spicy than Bran, but they both will eat Z's curry, and spicy peanut sauce. African peanut soup, huh...I've heard of that, but haven't tried it, I'll hafta give it a shot. That's hilarious about Jonah and Mexican food, yeah, good thing he's a Mike clone, haha!