Sunday, September 28, 2008

Boo!

Look what "we" made today! I think they turned out pretty cute! If you cannot tell, they are marshmallow ghosts. Not all of our marshmallows turned out quite "right." Some were just blobs, and some were "dead" lying down ghosts. Can ghosts even be dead? I don't know.





I love cooking and baking so much! And I love getting the kiddos involved. With this recipe though, they were pretty much just marshmallow tasters, which they really loved. The recipe either required the hot stove or the kitchen-aid mixer or my hands the whole time. It wasn't very kid friendly I guess, but Paige and Jonah were very content and eerily quiet the whole time... I did hear some swallows, some licking...
Sometimes, I regret my decisions to bake or cook something in the middle of my mess. I did with these a little. The marshmallow goo was sooo sticky to pipe out. Well actually, the REALLY sticky part was putting the marshmallow goo into the bag. My hands.... eeewy but tasty! And the kiddos... They had to take a bath. And the kitchen needed a good scrubbing. I love MAKING messes, but I don't really like cleaning up. I guess that is normal, but we do make LOTS of messes here, always cooking, baking, crafting, painting... Especially Paige and I. It seems we are always in the kitchen for one reason or another, either making, eating or cleaning OR making, eating AND cleaning...Hey, I have to multitask here! But, I keep telling myself that my children are not going to remember or even care about having a super clean house but that they will remember learning how to cook, bake, do arts and crafts, and just enjoy life and they will remember the fun it was to make those messes. And they will remember that their mommy spent time with them more than the vacuum cleaner or sponge.
Anyway... I am hoping that some of these ghosts don't get eaten. I would love to have them around for decorations, at least for this Halloween. I think the ones in our Halloween tree are safe. If they get eaten though, we can just blame Jack, right? Anyways, Boo to you!

9 comments:

zachariah said...

I used to love making stuff with my mom around Halloween, and just the season in general. The ghosts look cool, we are missing the proper autumn Halloween feel right now...

fiona said...

Those are cute ghosts! they remind me of peeps, yummm... I agree, it's spending good memory-making time with the kiddos that is important, not mom in a tizzy trying to keep everything clean. Good luck having those ghosts last till Halloween, but yeah, at least you can blame Jack! ;)

Julie said...

Fiona, Your comment got me thinking...about Peeps! I thought I was the only one who liked them... Anyways, I made pink marshmallow "peeps" today. They look a lot like little pink poops with eyes, but I have time to perfect them before Easter!

Julie said...

Oh! I also wanted to say how much I appreciate my BLENDS (blogging friends) or is it FROG (friends who blog):) Mike and I are always trying to get other people to comment on our blog and YOU (You know who you are, Zach and Fiona!) always do!- not to put pressure on you or anything... It is so fun keeping in touch with you through both of our blogs and comments. I am really looking forward to our Antarctia trip!

Three Girls with a Mom said...

These look so fun. Are they simple to make? I will try to start commenting more. I always think of comments but never post them. :-) Enjoy your peeps!

Three Girls with a Mom said...

cccccccccvfzvxcvcxz

From Katie :-)

Julie said...

Christi, That comment was not designed to make YOU feel guilty! You are such a sweet friend.

Julie said...

Oh, and yes Christi, they were pretty easy to make if you have a candy thermometer and a kitchen-aid style mixer. Let me know if you'd like the recipe. I will email it to you.

Three Girls with a Mom said...

I don't have a kitchen aid mixer but my mom does. Maybe I should make them up there so she has to deal with the mess? Yes, that sounds like a good idea. :-)