Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Monkey is 5!

Jonah had his 5th birthday last Sunday!  I can't believe my Little Monkey would actually be going off to school in the fall if I let him!  He really is growing up though, becoming more independent, being more helpful, obeying more, but he is still Jonah.  He is continuously climbing, talking and pretending.  But guess what!?  He can read!  Not huge words or anything, but I just have not been able to really "work" with him in this area, so it is an unexpected surprise.  I have always told Mike that Jonah is smart, he just has no desire to show it.

We started off the day by giving Jonah his presents.  He got a Spiderman bike and helmet from us and a cute robot card and a stretchy sticky hand from Paige.  Both presents were super cool to Jonah!

I love how Jonah was so excited about the Robot card Paige made him!
We all got ready for church and then went to Starbucks for breakfast.  Mike and Paige usually pick up donuts at Chuck's on Jonah's birthday, but they aren't open on Sundays!  So, the next best thing was Starbucks.  Hot chocolate and donuts sure start the day off right (sarcasm here).  But, they sure taste good!

Jonah had a dinner time party with the theme of "Robots."  We decorated with Lego and K'nex robots and lots of foil.  Paige made a "Pin the button on the robot" game to play with the kids (There were two other kiddos besides our kids.  The party (as usual) was mostly family.).  It was all very fun!  Oh, just so you know "Robots" is a generic term.  Not characters in a movie or anything.  Jonah just likes robots. I found a great book at the library on robots one day and Jonah has been loving them ever since.  He has seen some movies and shows with robots though!  He loves Number 5 from "Short Circuit"!

Here is the cake.  It was pretty fun to make.  And very easy and fast (if you're me anyway.  I am always messy and always fast.).

Here's our birthday boy blowing out the candles.
I collected a ton of boxes, toilet paper rolls and just random stuff before the party.  Then the kids made these adorable robots (on the hearth).  They really had a fun time making them.  And I am going to have to find a way for them to disappear one of these days (along with the foil chain garland...).


Happy 5th Birthday sweet Monkey Boy!

2 comments:

fiona said...

Happy 5th birthday, Jonah! He is such a cute boy. I love how excited he was in that pic, too! Okay, your cake is awesome, Julie. You truly put me to shame! No, no...let's say, you INSPIRE me... that's better! My kids WILL have a cool cake this year, they will, they will... And I have to say that Paige sounds like a super helper to have around. You have an awesome little family.

zachariah said...

Happy birthday Jonah! Love the robot cake!