Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Making Valentines

Last week, Paige said, "Mommy, we should make Valentines and then send them out the day before we leave for Antarctica!" I was taken back a bit by this statement, as I had NOT been talking about Valentine's Day and I really didn't think she would even know when it was. I was kind of thinking we might just skip over that little holiday this year... Lazy Mommy. Maybe it was the quick switch at the grocery store from Christmas decorations to Valentine candy. So, of course, we made Valentines! We had to go to the store to get more glue. Did you know that Elmer's glue bottles (with the glue in them of course) are only 22 cents at Target? It just seems cheap. I bought 4 bottles, which was a good number. We each had a bottle of our own. Which was good. Paige uses a lot of glue for her decorations and Jonah sometimes just seems to glue for the fun of it. His Valentines took days to dry!



Here is Paige, a perfectionist when it comes to her crafts. She spent a lot of time making straight lines with her glue. She would get upset if the glitter didn't go on just right (like if it strayed beyond her lines).
I was so surprised that Jonah wanted to make Valentines! He is usually my "I don't want to do that project" boy. He would rather just play "skunk" or something. But, he LOVED making his Valentines. He loved gluing and glittering. I am still trying to get him to write something on them though. He has no desire to write yet.

Jack made lots of Valentines too! He likes to scribble with markers, squeeze the glue bottle, and play in the glitter.
I love that ALL of my children enjoyed this together. Often I will get a project together and Paige will usually spend a lot of time doing it, Jack will try it, and usually Jonah does not even give it a shot. Yeah for Jonah!

3 comments:

Three Girls with a Mom said...

A brave mommy you are for using glitter and glue with Jack. I have been a little nervous about using either with Katie. Maybe I will take after you and we will use some on our Valentines. Only Paige would be there to remind you. :-) No more skipping over things for you.

fiona said...

How great that all 3 of them enjoyed it so much!! I really need to get glue and glitter and stuff for my two...poor things just have crayons and FINALLY little scissors. We do a lot of coloring and cutting, but it's definitely time to add some more fun to the mix.

Mike said...

Paige's perfectionistness is a little scary. I personally like it, but it is a little scary for a child...