Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween


Happy Halloween!!!

We had a fun Halloween! We started the day trick-or-treating at Bubba's and Aunt Barbs before lunch, and then ate all the candy for lunch.  I tried to get everyone to eat apples and baby carrots, but my efforts were mostly in vain.  In the early afternoon Grandma came over while we were carving pumpkins and brought more candy for the kids.  Then in the late afternoon, we went to a nearby park and did a little Geocaching to burn off some energy.  When we got home, I made a special Halloween dinner; mummy dogs with monster blood to dip in, goblin fingers, and pumpkin pie milkshakes.  It was mummy...


The pumpkin pie milkshakes were really good.

Here are the kiddos in their costumes. Jonah is a lion and Paige and Jack are both butterflies.  Jack was supposed to be a clown, but he doesn't "yike" the clown costume (at least he doesn't like it today).  He wanted to be a butterfly "yike Gigi."  So Jack, if you are reading this as an older boy, just know that we did not make you wear a butterfly costume.  You chose it!

And here are Mike and I in our costumes!  Mike is a clown (wearing the wig and nose from Jack's costume) and I am a fairy godmother (Thanks Bubba for letting me borrow the costume!).  It is so nice having a child who is old enough to take a decent picture!


Our Jack-o-lanterns!
We have very special Jack-o-lanterns this year because we grew the pumpkins!  We only ended up with 3 good pumpkins after those silly deer and other animals who like to poop in our yard trampled and ate the rest...  3 is enough though!

Here is "Jonah's pumpkin."  He helped Mike design the bat.  He didn't like Mike's first drawing of a bat and said, "No Daddy!  That's not how you draw a bat.  It's like this"!  He drew a picture and Mike recreated it on the pumpkin.  It looks cool with the moon behind it.


Paige wanted a more "traditional" jack-o-lantern.
Here it is!

And this is "Jack's pumpkin."  I designed it to look like a clown.  You know, because he was supposed to be a clown.  Mike did all of the carving though!  You cannot see very well from this picture, but this pumpkin had a very curvy shape- a lot actually like Butter the peanut.

So, that was Halloween!  I hope you all had a fun day too!

5 comments:

Three Girls with a Mom said...

What a fun day! The food is great. The costumes are good. Did you make the costumes?

Julie said...

Nope. To the disappoinment of my mom (who can sew anything!), I do NOT sew. Maybe a button here or there. Actually, all of the costumes are hand-me-downs from the Hitchings kids! The butterfly costumes are just wings that you tie on and then they just dressed in black. We did buy Paige the antennae headband though.
Originally the kids wanted to be superheroes, but the costumes that we found were $30 apiece! Maybe I'm cheap, but I wasn't going to pay close to $100 for my kids to dress up for the few houses they go to. Maybe it would be different if we were to go to a big party or something... I don't know. I would have tried to have "not sew" (iron on, glue...) them costumes to wear, but I didn't have time after coming home from Brazil. I was so relieved when the kiddos happily picked out those costumes!

fiona said...

Great costumes! I love the butterfly wings. That's so funny that Jack wanted to be a butterfly, too! Good thing, since that freed up the clown stuff for Mike, haha! I love your fairy godmother costume, you look awesome :) And the bat jack o'lantern is soooo cool. I have a fondness for bats, and I love the simplicity of the design and how it totally does look like it's flying in front of the moon. Love it. We haven't carved pumpkins with the kiddos ever, I think next year we will. We meant to this year, and it just didn't happen. Those pumpkin pie milkshakes look/sound delicious!

Three Girls with a Mom said...

My sister found Katie's dog costume at the thrift store. We were pretty lucky. Although a dog would have been easy to make. I wouldn't pay $30 for a costume either. Not when you can get stuff at the thrift store, on-line or make it. It is amazing how much costumes can cost for 1 night of wearing it. They are cute in them though! Next year, you need to talk your mom into making them something. :-)

Megan and Greg said...

Okay, so I realized when Mike commented on my extremely past-due Rainier post that I never saw HIS Rainier post! I must say, you guys have been busy since then!! I especially liked the Rainier post and the Brazil post--both brought back great memories! Anyway, hope you guys are doing well!

Greg

P.S. I didn't know you got blisters on your lips too!