Saturday, May 30, 2009

Happy Birthday Jack!

My sweet baby Jack (Can I still call him that? A baby, I mean?) is 2 today! I am so blessed by this wonderfully laid back, happy-go-lucky, funny and sweet little guy. I really don't think he should be 2 years old yet though. It really does seem like he was just born. I always cry when my kiddos have a birthday, but this one is the worst. He's my baby! I have loved having tiny ones around here soooo much! I even cried today as I was reading Ramona Forever to Paige when the girls found out for sure that their mother was going to have another baby. Sob, sob. I didn't want Paige to know I was crying, so I had to turn away and wipe my tears as fast as they came. My baby isn't a baby anymore...

I have been looking at Jack's baby pictures and I remember, just like it was yesterday, holding him right after birth. Oh, he was beautiful. He definitely wasn't the cutest looking though! Poor kid had so many splotches and got scratched right away when his siblings met him the first time, although neither kiddo would admit to it. And then he got baby acne at 8 days old and it continued for 3 or 4 months... But, from the beginning, he was the sweetest child I have ever known. He just radiated sweetness, if that's possible.
Jack on May 30th, 2007

Jack has enjoyed being a baby for as long as he could. He walked at 16 1/2 months and is still not a huge talker. I mean, he talks, but in just one to two word phrases and usually about the same stuff. You know, brroom brrooms, lawn mowers, poop... And Jack has been so adored around here. Not by just me, but by Paige and Mike as well. I remember when Paige would say that we had "the cutest baby" because he was so chubby. And now, she loves helping Jack accomplish new things, like climbing a ladder (which he does with no problems, thanks to Paige), riding a scooter, or saying new things. Paige loves how Jack talks. He does sound pretty cute! And Mike always has a huge smile for Jack when he sees him in our bed in the morning. I know it is not easy to have a kid who doesn't sleep through the night and because of it pushes his feet into your back or stomach (Jack has slept through the night maybe 4 times.), but Jack just looks so happy to wake up to his mommy and daddy in the morning. Mike also loves how Jack is such a good listener. He just obeys. I mean, we have had to flick his little knuckles a few times when we've asked him not to touch something and he doesn't comply, but a little flick gets him right on track. It has been so nice that Jack is so obedient and easy going. We have always been able to take him anywhere.
Jack at one year-

Boy, I may be rambling a bit in this post. So sorry. I guess I just had to get all that out! Here is a video of Jack at his first birthday, just a year ago. He was so little, such a cute little impish lump.


It is so amazing to see the growth of children in their first two years. They go from being almost completely helpless, to being able to get around and socialize and then they turn into little people with distinct interests and personalities. As much as I hate seeing Jack grow up this quickly, I am looking forward to seeing what kind of person he will grow up to be. Unless I mess up big time, Jack is sure to become an amazing man. God gave him such a gentle spirit and wonderful temperament, along with a good sense of humor and smarts. We'll just have to wait and see what he'll do with all that!
Here's a picture of Jack taken at Kelsey Creek Farm this week. He was pretending that he had keys in his pocket, just like Daddy. He's still little, but he's growing up quickly all of the sudden. I'm not crying...sniff sniff.

2 comments:

fiona said...

Awwww, he's 2 now! And he's definitely still your baby :) He is such a SWEET little boy, that's the perfect word for him. And you, of all people, I'm sure will not mess up big time! He is going to grow from a wonderful little guy into a wonderful big guy (oh, that does sound sad! "Big guy!")

What a cute 1st bday video, I love how he's just sitting there, not sure what's going on! Poor Paige, having to eat plain ol' cake instead of the cool thing on top she wanted, haha! ;)

Happy 2nd birthday, Jack!!

Three Girls with a Mom said...

It is amazing to think they are already two! Hope he had a great birthday! Our card and wishes are late, but hopefully better late.