Thursday, April 23, 2009

First visit from the tooth fairy!

Look! Last Saturday Paige lost her first tooth! I know the picture below is a bit bloody, but it's all we have. Kids don't look immediately cute when they lose their teeth, ya know. It takes a while for that bloody look to disappear... Anyways, Paige had been ready for at least a week for her visit from the Tooth Fairy. Her tooth, "Lucy" (a nickname Nana gave to it- Who else gives nicknames to inanimate objects?!) was really wiggly for a week or two. Paige made a little envelope with a picture of a tooth on it to tuck her tooth into just so she would be ready when the time came. She got really excited when her tooth came out and immediately wanted the tooth in the envelope and under her pillow.


As the day progressed however, Paige grew more and more attached to her tooth and decided that she wanted to KEEP it. She did NOT want the tooth fairy to take her tooth! I suggested that she write the tooth fairy a note. Here it is. I love how she writes all by herself without us prompting her at all. She placed the note into the envelope with the tooth.

Then after going to bed, and after I thought she was asleep, Paige started to cry. She's a little emotional at times. I don't know where she gets it. She was so worried that the tooth fairy would take her tooth because the note might be too hard to read for a tiny little fairy. I got her to go to sleep by telling her that I was sure that the tooth fairy could read it and that I was sure that her tooth would be there in the morning. She needed to just trust me here. Thankfully she did. But she did wake up awfully early Sunday morning! Mike and I heard her quickly check for her envelope and tooth (which WAS there! Woohoo!) and her money. Apparently her tooth fairy was out of change and only had $5 bills. Lucky girl!

I have been wondering a lot about this tooth fairy thing. Paige obviously believes in the tooth fairy. Without a doubt. But she doesn't fully believe in Santa. She is always asking, "How could Santa do this? How could Santa do that? Mama, is Santa real"? And then there is the Easter Bunny which she has absolutely NO faith in. After Easter last year, she asked me if SHE could be the Easter Bunny for this year. I told her she could, but she eventually decided that no, she could not be the Easter Bunny because then she would know where all of the eggs were hidden. So, why does she believe in the Tooth Fairy?

6 comments:

fiona said...

I LOVE her note to the tooth fairy! I love that she did it herself and everything, she is such a great little girl! Another milestone achieved...FIRST tooth lost from the Tull kids! Wow.

We looked at this earlier today, and I didn't get a chance to comment right away, but Nuala was quite fascinated by the picture of Paige with her bloody mouth. She of course kept thinking she had an owie and I kept pointing out that she was happy about it. No matter! She kept talking about Paige and her "owie boca" (mouth)! Also, then she requested "watch Jack movie!", and yesterday saw a picture of a random little boy that she was convinced was Jonah. It'll be so fun to see y'all again :)

Anyway, congrats to Paige, and especially congrats on scoring a high-paying tooth fairy! ;) That's really funny about who she believes in, hehe :) Maybe fairies are easier for little girls to really believe in vs. big bunnies, etc.

Colin said...

Belief or no belief, I think you're skipping the larger issue here. $5?!?!?! That's a pretty sweet deal if I've ever heard one. I may just have to start believing in the tooth fairy myself.

Julie said...

Colin, I will send the tooth fairy your way if you lose a tooth too. So, start wiggling! Haha. I was just imagining you completely toothless with your wallet full of $5 bills...

Three Girls with a Mom said...

I will have to remember to have a stash of ones when Katie starts to loose teeth. Not sure Frank would stomach giving out $5 each tooth but then the first one is a pretty big deal so maybe for that one $5 is worth it. Congrats to Paige though! She certainly is getting to be a big girl.

Bubba said...

I'm very behind in blog review, but I thought you should know that the proper spelling for Paige's tooth is not Lucy, but Loosey.
:) Bubba

Mike said...

Congratulations Baby Girl!!! In 70 years you will be crying when you lose a tooth… Hahaha…